fmPreferences - fmDirectConnection
Store Manager requires direct MySQL database connection.
Most of hosting companies allow direct connections to MySQL database.
However in most cases you have to go to your control panel and add your home/office computer IP address or domain name to Access List - list of IP addresses allowed to access MySQL port 3306 from outside. This option can be found under MySQL settings.
Feel free to ask your hosting support to assist you in enabling
direct MySQL access, they must help you since it is trivial task.
To configure direct connection to your remote database, follow few steps:
- Open Tools -> Preferences -> Database connection.
- Enable Direct connection to remote database check-box.
- Specify the following Remote Database Connection Settings:
- Host (Server address) - Usually it is your website
name like "mywebsite.com" (do not include http://www. prefix); you may
use IP address as well. Please check your store server parameters (see
engine_config.php, you can find it at your store /content/engine/
directory). Open engine_config.php file and you will find your database
server name (host).
If any is defined here (like 'http://www.servername.com'), you should use this one (servername.com).
If it is defined as 'localhost', it means you should use your store URL.
- Port - 3306 is used in most cases (please ask your hosting provider to check if the one is used).
- MySQL Version - Most of hosting companies have 4.1 or
4.0 and some of them have 5.x version. You can use Auto if you're not
sure which one is used.
- User name (login), Password and Database (name) - Specify your username, password and database name. You can find them in the engine_config.php file:
define('DB_USER', 'name'); //here your User Name (login) is defined
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'pass'); //here your password is defined
define('DB_NAME', 'remote_database'); //here your database name is defined
Also you may type database name manually or use browse button to see the list of available databases and select the one you need from the drop-down.
Tip: Use the Test Connection button to verify if all settings are correct and connection to your remote database is possible.
- Click Ok to save this entry, close Prefeences and to connect to your database, or click cancel to discard this entry.
Also you can use Database Connection Wizard to setup your connection or make Database backup/Restore selecting the corresponding actions from the drop-down.
If you're unable to connect to remote database, here are few key items to check.
If you got "SQL ERROR: Access denied for user
'admin'@'18.104.22.168' (using Password: YES)" notification (where
'admin' is your username and '22.214.171.124' is your IP) you have to
add your IP address to the Access List and allow direct MySQL
connections. Please see an article to find out how to add your IP to the Access List.